“Do not regret growing older; for it is a privilege denied to many…”.
As my 24th birthday approached today, I wanted to take a look back on all the things I’ve learned over the years about style and fashion. It was difficult, as my opinion is constantly changing with the trends, and as my style evolves, yet these 24 rules of dressing are timeless and true. Enjoy!
1. Everything looks put together with the perfect black blazer.
2. Experiment with combining different textures to create an balanced and unique look.
3. Mix designer labels with street labels. A simple white t-shirt with that asymmetrical Helmut Lang blazer and J Brand jeans is a fabulous look.
4. Always keep a go-to outfit handy for those days when you’ve ransacked your closet and you still have “nothing to wear”.
5. The higher the heel, the closer to heaven.
6. Know your body shape, and dress for it- not for the latest trends.
7. If your friend desperately wants to wear matching outfits, humor her. But as a rule of a thumb, think more fraternal, less identical.
8. Shoes will make or break an outfit.
9. If you’re uncomfortable in what you are wearing, it will show.
10. Invest in a good handbag and quality shoes. They’re the essential items you can wear even when you put on that horrid winter weight.
11. Wrap dresses are made for traveling.
12. There will never be another “new” black.
13. The only accessory you need to take off before leaving the house… is a fedora.
14. Highlight your legs, OR your stomach, OR your arms… but not all of it, all at once. Less is more.
15. There is a huge difference between your outfit being “girl cute” and “guy hot”. If you find that rare outfit which is a common ground, cherish it.
16. Everything will look and fit better when you have a great body. Take care of it.
17. Pay the extra expense for dry cleaning your nicer items. It will pay off.
18. Take risks and play with color.
19. Office wear can be chic if you make it.
20. Denim dresses will never be in style. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried to buy a little denim number, and gave it to Goodwill after never wearing it because it’s just a little too… something.
21. Don’t wear those super-hot boots in warm weather. Just don’t.
22. Replace any belt that comes with the dress/pants/skirt you buy. It will make your outfit look much more expensive.
23. Nude heels will elongate your legs like no other.
24. Break all the “rules” of dressing, and wear what makes you happy. Life’s short, and fashion is meant to be fun.
Hope you lovely readers have a wonderful weekend!
We totally agree with (and live by) all your fabulous words of wisdom! Happy Birth Day!
XOXO Nensi & Natasha