As the new year approaches, as do the gym membership and nicotine patch sales. But instead of the usual resolutions in which we only follow through with for about a week, pick some style resolutions in which you will actually follow through with.
1. Take (more) risks. Fashion is meant to be fun. There’s no science, no equation, and trying some new ideas, trends and pieces helps you to get out of your comfort zone and take some chances.
2. Clean out your closet. New year, new wardrobe (or at least a revamped one!). Get rid of those sweaters and tops you have haven’t worn in 3 months. If you don’t love it, you never will. Make some space for some amazing new pieces!
3. Show off your curves. Pick out some clothes that flatter your body, and wear them with confidence.
4. Get organized. Organize your closet to make it easy to find the pieces you’re looking for. I have an OCD habit where I organize my closet by color (ROYGBIV!) and type of item. It ensures that you can always find the perfect piece, and also will help you realize what colors and pieces you wear the most, and which ones you could use some more of (or less).
5. Splurge a little. With all the fast fashion that dominates our society, splurging on a piece you’ve coveted online or through window displays is not guilty; it is a high-quality investment that you will use for years to come.
6. Get involved. For all of you aspiring to succeed in the fashion industry, or simply those who are interested, getting involved in your community is a great way to connect, network and learn. Try some volunteer opportunities, like dressing women for job interviews (one of my personal favorites) or attending local fashion shows or sewing classes. Remember, you’ll be more regretful of the things you didn’t do than with the things you did.
7. Wear color. There are so many women I know who live in black, grey and white, and are too afraid to wear color. Once again, fashion is about taking risks and color can really bring out your beauty. Test out which looks best by holding up colors to your face and having a friend judge which complements your skin and hair.
8. Seek inspiration. Inspiration can be found on the street, in boutiques, travel and everything in between. Jean-Luc Godard once said, “It’s not where you take things from- it’s where you take them to.”
9. Accessorize more. Accessories can really accentuate a plain outfit, or work as a final touch on a great one. Think Anna Dello Russo, the queen of accessorizing.
10. Embrace your signature style. Developing your signature style can be difficult, but try to realize which pieces you tend to where and analyze your closet. Take photos of your outfits, make mood boards, and soon you will be able to define your aesthetic so you can better perfect it and make it your own.
What are your new years resolutions?
Loved your suggestions!!
Your list is going to be mine too! Thanks for putting it in order for me! Best in 2013!
I’m happy to hear you enjoyed it! Happy New Year darling!
Great post hun! Totally gonna be doing this! Happy New Year x
No problem sweetie, you as well!